Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style.
Billy Baldwin


Innovation is often the ability to reach into the past and bring back what is good, what is beautiful, what is useful, what is lasting.
Sister Parish

21 January 2012

A Good Lesson-An Old Schoolhouse Gets Re-Educated


 Living in a 19th century caretaker's cottage I can totally understand and empathize with anyone who takes on the restoration of any antique home.  I could never live or be happy in a cookie cutter space so whenever I spot caring and creative restoration and reinvention I smile and applaud...especially a cottage.


 When I saw this fabulous Catskills Cottage on Hooked on Houses I had to share.  Originally an 1840s Federal style schoolhouse, the neglected property was rescued for $30,000 by a magazine editor and a decorator who quickly scooped up the 900 square foot relic and spent a year breathing life into what would become their "Monkey Cottage".


  No closets, ceiling so low you couldn't stand, burst pipes and layer upon layer of paint and wallpaper were a few of the challenges Jason Oliver Nixon and John Loecke had in store-I can relate to all that!



I love the  happy colors and every inch nook and cranny made useful


 ...and when they were done a magical weekend retreat was their reward-go to the head of the class guys!


Hooked on Houses via Country Living

The Blue and White Life