Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style.
Billy Baldwin


Innovation is often the ability to reach into the past and bring back what is good, what is beautiful, what is useful, what is lasting.
Sister Parish

13 May 2008

Blue and White and Read All Over


It is blue-butterfly day here in spring....Robert Frost



It is 42 degrees here in Boston tonight. We have had teasers of Spring and even some touches of Summer, but tonight is a snuggle in night. I am surrounded by May magazines and catalogues that I have let pile up and they all seem to have something in common-Blue and White everywhere I look. The cover stories of so many design issues have set their eye on the crisp, fresh and summer beckoning of blue and white and I cannot wait to dive in!






Being surrounded by Blue and White is nothing new for me, those are the colors I love best when I design any space, but particualrly my own.








My library is where I curl up to read by the fire, but I knew that in any season this would be a room to snuggle into so blue and white would be the way to go. The loveseat done in a classic Brunschwig and Fils needlepoint is the center I built around. I recently fell in love with the Boston toile from Cape Cod designer/artist Joan Peters and had to use it on the bench seats.

Living in New England the inspiration for blue and white can be found any time by looking to the sky. Skip the paint store, watch a New England sky if you want ideas for shades of blue. My favorite-September sky. Walk the beach along any section of the coast from Nantucket to Acadia and the blues of the rocks, the sea and the spruce will tempt you to grab a paintbrush.





The New England coast I love is a part of my need to live in a blue and white world and to keep summer with me everyday. Some feel that blue and white is cold and sad...must be vision problems!



Perhaps no other color combination can work so perfectly in more styles of rooms-cottage, beach house, romantic, asian, traditional, French country...blue and white fits.


(wisteria)


The combination can be crisp and clean with light that comes from bright white walls "warmed" with blue fabrics and accents or it can be casual with broad stripes and slipcovers and of course it can be classic, traditional and elegant.



(Source Perrier)

I love blue and white in surprising spots-accenting a traditional red dining area or a contemporary grey and white room-it just mixes perfectly.

(Source Perrier)




Whenever I walk into a blue and white space I feel I belong there, it never gets old for me. My first house was a converted mill space with soaring ceilings, a loft bedroom and a roof deck. I grounded the endless walls with lots of blue and white and the moment I added a simple striped rag rug to the white ceramic tiled foyer I was home.



I love to play with color and will often take a room and just do something new and fun but I always come back to my center where I breathe best...a blue and white corner.



Here my dollhouse sized stairway is given a grander air with a roaming historic toile paper from Twigs.





My Papa's chair has been given yet another life in this embroidered fabric with a crewel feel from JAB ,this fabric kept me up at night til I decided where to use it.



You don't have to submerge yourself in Blue and White like I do, play with it...add an accent , upholster a chair, throw a rug on the bathroom floor...you will be surprised how "new' it will make the space.



To play with Blue and White here are some reads that inspire and spots to shop...No need for the blues!



Blue and White Shopping:



Ralph Lauren Home(of course!)

The Source Perrier(Love!!! the precious nesting dinnerware,on my wish list!)

Wisteria-Accents

Horchow-Rugs, bedding and accents-watch for their 25% off sales!

Shades of Light-Accents and rugs..love the cover of the new catalogue

Bergdorf Goodman-take a look at the Estate Collection

William Sonoma Home-Pillows!!! but also check out rugs and accessories

Stroheim and Romann-Fabric and Papers to cover every inch!








The Blue and White Life